What we believe at Hope Church Penzance and Newlyn
Hope Church Penzance and Newlyn is a family friendly community church. We are part of the Apostolic Church in the UK and you can see more about that below. As a church, we believe that we are called to do three things:
- Love Jesus
- Love Church
- Love Local
Jesus Christ and the message of the Gospel are central to everything we do at Hope Church. Jesus’ message is essentially a simple one:
- None of us is perfect and we have all sinned (Romans 3:23)
- The consequence of that sin is separation from God (Romans 6:23)
- BUT Jesus sacrifice offers us the gift of redemption (Romans 6:23)
- This gift is available to anyone who is willing to accept Jesus in their life (Romans 10:9-10)
In response to this great gift, we aim to reflect our love for Jesus in all that we do, both as a church and individually.
We believe that the local church is intended to be no less than “the hope of the world”. Jesus is the head of the church and ultimately it is him who will build it although we have the privilege of being part of that great adventure (Matthew 16:18). In this great adventure, the church is called to:
- Worship God (Luke 4:8, John 4:23, Rev. 4:10)
- Study His Word (2 Tim. 2:15, 1 Cor. 4:6)
- Be a center of prayer (Acts 2:42)
- Love one another (John 13:35, Phil. 1:1-4)
- Baptise believers and share the Lord’s supper or communion (Luke 22:19-20)
- Learn how to live as godly people (Titus 2:11-12)
- Be equipped to evangelize the world (Eph. 4:12, Matt. 28:18-20)
For Hope Church, this means that we aim to reflect these values in all our meetings, projects and our daily lives.
The church is lead by pastor Jason Ward and a leadership team who are supported more widely by the Apostolic Church in the UK.
Finally, we believe that the church does not exist only for its members, but also to fulfill the Great Commission (Matt. 28:18-20). Loving local means that Hope Church is both actively involved in the community around us through different projects, but also aims to make church an accessible and welcoming place for people who would not yet consider themselves to be believers.
Apostolic Church in the UK
Hope Church Penzance and Newlyn is part of the Apostolic Church in the UK. This is a group of evangelical churches represented by approximately 110 churches within the UK and many more internationally.
The core values of the Apostolic Church are laid out in the tenets of the faith:
- The one true and living God who eternally exists in three persons in unity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- The inherent corruptness of man through the Fall; The necessity of repentance and regeneration by grace and through faith in Christ alone and the eternal separation from God of the finally unrepentant.
- The Virgin birth, sinless life, atoning death, triumphant resurrection, ascension and continuing intercession of our Lord Jesus Christ; His second coming and millennial reign upon earth.
- The Justification and sanctification of believers through the finished work of Christ.
- The baptism of the Holy spirit for believers with supernatural signs, empowering the church for its mission in the world.
- The gifts of the Holy Spirit for the building up of the Church and ministry to the world.
- The Sacraments of Baptism by immersion and of the Lord’s Supper
- The divine inspiration and authority of the Holy Scriptures.
- Christ’s leadership of the Church through apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, teachers, elders and deacons, for unity, maturity and growth of the church.
- The security of the believer as he remains in Christ
- The privilege and responsibility of bringing tithes and offerings to the Lord.